Monday, March 1, 2010

Reflecting Pool Geese

The Reflecting Pool, located between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial, attracts countless geese.

I had always wanted to photograph the geese but not only can they be a bit aggressive, they also poop.  A lot.  That makes getting close to them a bit difficult as there's a chance you'll be nipped at and an even better chance that you'll not only step in their "waste", you're probably also going to get it on you, your clothes, your bag, etc.

Well, one hot and humid day (is there any other in D.C.?) I braved the geese and got these pictures.
I absolutely love them.

At first I was really bothered by all the "waste" (ahem, poop) that is in the pictures, but once I came to terms with the fact that thousands of geese equals lots of poop, I started appreciating the other qualities of the pictures.

On a related note, I have often seen tourists dipping their feet in or sometimes even walking in the Reflecting Pool.  I just don't have the heart to tell them they are essentially splashing around in a pool of sewage. 

Click on individual images to see full-size.







No comments: