Saturday, February 27, 2010

March For Life/Roe v. Wade Protest

On January 22, 2010 I was walking towards the Smithsonian Natural History Museum on Constitution Ave. when I saw an extremely large group of people a couple of blocks down.

I knew this meant one thing:
Protesters.
(I do live in Washington, D.C. after all)

I then realized -- because I'm a nerd that remembers dates and weird trivia -- that it was the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

I know there was no museum that could hold my attention when there was a protest I could photograph, so, into the midst of the protesters I went.  I have never seen such a crowd.  Seems to me there were more of these folks (known as "March for Life" protesters) than there were of the Tea Party protesters.

This "shoot" is in my top two favorites of all time.  Really compelling stuff.

A couple of interesting points:
-The little girl that was a "former fetus": I wish I could have edited the picture somehow to really make her the complete and total focus.  Unfortunately, all attempts to really bring her out just made the photo unsatisfactory.
-The man with the "Virginity Rocks" sign was actually a vendor.  I found it particularly interesting that there was a guy there -- in the middle of such a major protest -- capitalizing on it by selling shirts.  Still, I probably took ten pictures of him and he didn't say a word or try to stop me.  Works for me.

Finally, it should be noted that these pictures do not indicate my feelings/opinions on Roe v. Wade/Pro-Life/Pro-Choice issues.  I was simply photographing it.


Click on individual pictures to see full-size.































No comments: