Sunday, February 28, 2010

Arlington National Cemetery at Christmas

Arlington National Cemetery is a wonderful place to spend Christmas ... seriously.

I know because I spent Christmas 2009 there.

Every year, a group called Wreaths Across America places wreaths on the headstones at Arlington National Cemetery.  Combine that with a recent snow storm D.C. had gotten and I knew I had to see the cemetery snowy and wreath-covered.

It was beautiful and very humbling.

The first set of pictures were taken at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers (casually called the "Tomb of the Unknowns").  It was a very dreary and misty part of the day.  Because of the somber feel, I played with the tones to help the pictures reflect that.

The second set of pictures of just the headstones are whiter and brighter.  Obviously snow is much brighter than a dreary sky, plus, I didn't want to rework the tones on the headstones as there's just something so striking about how white they are.

My very favorite picture of all (and one of my favorites of all time) is the second to last picture (headstone James Edward Branson).

Click on individual images to see full-size.





















No comments: