Friday, July 30, 2010

Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden

The first touristy thing I did after moving to Washington, D.C. was visit the Sculpture Garden on the National Mall.

There are two Sculpture Gardens: one is associated with the National Gallery of Art and one is associated with the Hirshhorn Museum.  The one I visited that day was the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden.

I have such fond memories of that day for a couple of reasons:
1. It was the first thing I did in D.C. and I remember being so overwhelmed (in a good way) with my new home.
2. The pictures I took that day were a huge turning point in my photography.  Something clicked inside of me and I went from trying to find a good picture to feeling an emotion about what I was taking a picture of.

I realize that probably sounds really fruity, but I believe very much that a good picture only happens when there is some sort of an emotional response.  You can have all the training, the fanciest equipment, and access to the greatest editing tools out there, but unless you have it in your gut, you'll never get "the shot."

These pictures were taken last spring, so maybe you're wondering why it took me so long to post them.
Well, I think that has to do with a realization that these pictures played a large part in taking my photography to the next level and because of the emotions I still have attached to them and the memory of that day.  For some strange reason, I've put off posting them.  Quite odd especially since the first two pictures are among my all-time favorite pictures and the sculpture (a casting) of The Burghers of Calais by Auguste Rodin (seen in the very last picture) is one of my very favorite sculptures of all time.

Despite the long delay in posting them, I hope you enjoy them.  Better late than never!





























No comments: